
I am at home sick today. OMNI TV runs Pasquale's Kitchen over and over again... If you don't know about the Singing Chef, then you don't know a huge part of Toronto's culinary history. He had a show in the 80's where he would go about making wonderful food while he would sing opera and philosophize about life. He said that if he sings when he cooks, his food will be happy.
He used tons of veggies, wasted very little, loves life, has tons of patience, doesn't fry things or use lots of fats. You can also barely understand him most of the time, but he laughs so much you don't even care.
I think he's make the best boyfriend EVER.
I then watched Dr. Phil. Oh Phil. You're wife looks so freaky. God grant me the strength to say no to plastic surgery when I get old.
Anyway, it was talking about double dating, and double standards. Basically old cougars justifying their cougaring, and sucessful women being alone. However, one guest said that with a lot of sucessful women, they present themselves as a resume. 'This is me, this is what i've done, this is what i have, etc, etc, etc." He said that this made him not want to get to know the woman, she seemed complete and didn't need him. She was too 'done'. I don't exactly think this attitude is right, but it makes sense. Men want to be needed. Women want a man who is accomplished, so we present ourselves in light in the way we look for people.
I thought presenting myself as accomplished and independent was a good things. Great for jobs, online portfolios... WORK. However, I don't think I'd want to date a resume who was more concerned about 'keeping score', than just being. Just being... that's what love and companionship is about right, just being. Being together.
I was told once a few years ago when I was talking about my single-dom: " See Meaghan, you don't seem vulnerable, you don't seem like you need someone." I replied: "I don't."
Now... I think sometimes I do. My homeopath told me very frankly that a huge part of this thing called life is finding a partner, finding a balance. For me is does this translate into a traditional marriage or relationship? HELLS NO. But she made a point.
When I was younger I told a potential suitor that I didn't need no stinking man. He laughed. "Yes you do. You need someone to balance you out." This rang true in me. I didn't go on the date with him. To complicated. I have a policy that I don't fight for relationships, I think anything true will come naturally. However, since watching Dr. Phil, I wonder if I have been acting natural?
Is it my resume that keeps a decent guy away? Or is it the fact that I just can't be? Oh Pasquale, come sing to me...
No comments:
Post a Comment