I made the conscious decision to stop eating fish and shelfish a few years ago. Fish are wonderful and natural to eat as humans; but since we've started dumping so much oils, plastics, chemicals, and god-knows-what into our oceans they are highly toxic and contain heavy metals. Don't believe me? Why doesn't Tim Hortons serve tuna fish salad sandwhiches anymore? Hummm? They don't want a giant lawsuit in the future from mothers with mercury poisioned babies.
Besides, I can get all my omegas elsewhere.
We also over fish our oceans, use horrible things like Ghots nets that trap turtles, whales and dolphins, and generally disrespect the natural and sustainable fishing methods used by the fishermen of past. I also came to the conclusion that shelfish were just giant sea bugs. Lobster? Ummm... giant sea cockroach. No thanks.
Now, it seems we have screwed up another perfectly wonderful and natural thing humans eat.
A study has just come out saying that Juices have high amounts of pesticides. I don't eat to many fruits because of pesticide use. Organic and local fruit and berries are expensive, and with my pale Northern European heritage eating too many tropical fruits isn't the greatest thing for me anyway, according to macrobiotics. I also remember reading a study out of California somewhere that linked high amounts of fruit consumption to MS, a neurological disorder. That didn't make sense, fruit is supposed to be good for you, right? So they went back to the testing labs, and started a study marking people who eat washed vs unwashed fruits. Pesticides and Insecticides are just chemicals, and don't know the difference between your body and a bug. Ingested in large enough quantities, the neurotoxins and bioaccumulators must do something to your body. I haven't seen a follow up report, i'll post it if I do.
With my diet, people often ask me how can I do it if it's so "hard", and don't I "miss" things. Well, kinda. But I am gaining my health, well-being, peace of mind and a thriving planet to pass on to the future.
That's worth it, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment