I had started another blog last year for Mass Exodus. I've canceled the blog but here are 3 posts I liked...
+++++++
January 23rd, 2008
Perception
per·cep·tion /pərˈsɛpʃən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[per-sep-shuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. the act or faculty of apprehending by means of the senses or of the mind; cognition; understanding.
2. immediate or intuitive recognition or appreciation, as of moral, psychological, or aesthetic qualities; insight; intuition; discernment: an artist of rare perception.
3. the result or product of perceiving, as distinguished from the act of perceiving; percept.
4. Psychology. a single unified awareness derived from sensory processes while a stimulus is present.
5. Law. the taking into possession of rents, crops, profits, etc.
[Origin: 1350–1400; ME percepcioun (<>percepcïon) <>perceptiōn- (s. of perceptiō) comprehension, lit., a taking in. ]
++++++++++
January 21st, 2008
A case of the Mondays?
I watched a program last night that was really insightful into complaining. I'm usually a very happy person, however I noticed that since I started waitressing again, my bitching factor has increased ten fold.
A Complaint Free World
These people propose that to stop complaining, you wear the bracelet, and every time you complain you move the bracelet from one wrist to the other. It makes you more conscientious about your complaining, therefore making you think before you complain. 'Cause like my mom says: "No one likes a complainer." (Thanks mom.)
So what am I getting at? The Reverend made a point that people who aren't complainers are often doers. Doing vs. Complaining eh? Basically, the Rev states that you can take all that energy to complain to actually DO something about it. Complaining creates negative energy, while actions lead to a positive energy. He sighted the late and great Dr. King Jr. as a prime example. Instead of complaining about the world he lived in, he did something to actualize it.
In a panel discussion on sustainability put on by CESAR today, something very similar came up. Andrew Laursen, a Ryerson Professor, hit the nail on the head when he stated that he sensed a lot of 'anger' in the room. I am very familiar with this green rage, very similar to the Hulk. You get mad and pissed-off no one cares about the future of this planet- as that future is YOUR future, and someone else's apathy is killing it. However, that angry energy should be channeled into positive actions. That's the only way things will change right?
So if you hear me complaining, tell me to stop and do something.
++++++++
January 16th, 2008
The End of the Beginning
It's a bit late for introductions- for the past 4 months I've been working as Mass Exodus's "Environmental Consultant". This means that I've been researching the many different ways to create a truly sustainable event. I've been pitching ideas, talking a lot, reading websites, consulting to experts, reading books, attending meetings, reading magazines, consulting sponsors, and sometimes banging my head against walls. Kermit was right- It's not easy being green.
At first that is. Nothing is easy at first- but you stick to it and it becomes second nature. That is what I hope to instill somewhat in the class; just the ability to think sustainably in everyday life.
Also- my take on sutainabililty is less to do with nature and more to do with intelligent design. I've been a student of design now for about 4 years- and the lack of thought in regards to toxic and environmental factors in everyday design blows my mind on a constant basis. Sustainable design is about efficiency, material resource cycles and product function- not about trees and hemp. It's the new wave of design, and I fear Canada may be falling behind.
However we can't just blame our forefathers for the mess we're in. Until recently we didn't realize what our lazy and cheap approach to design would cost us. I mean, I don't think the leaders of the industrial revolution knew that their coal burning would lead to acid rain and the holes in the ozone. My Grandfather said segregated schools for whites and blacks were the norm in the south. My father in the 50's didn't know smoking was bad for you when he started.
Recently the WWF has launched a great add campaign along these lines.
This blog is going to act as a diary of my journey into sustainable events and fashion. What I learn, who I meet, rad things I learn, hardships to overcome and obstacles in the way. I'm the first person to undertake this role, and hopefully I can set a good foundation to encourage the next year to reduce their footprint further. I mean- now we know, right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment