Sunday, July 27, 2008

Elephants

So...

In life I try not to regulate myself. Sometimes it works- sometimes It doesn't. I try to think of it as letting destiny happen, or listening to the universe by letting it speak through me... or maybe I just have a hard time self-editing. My teacher in France used to tell me: "Maggie- tu dois tourner la langue sept fois dans la bouche avant de parler." Translation: "Meg- fuckin' think a little before opening your trap."

But you know how sometimes you just say things that were meant to be said?

When I was working at the store on Friday when a couple from Buffalo came in. They were here on Vacation and doing some shopping. Now- at the store by the cash we sell these notbooks and cards made by Ellie Poo. Yes. We sell paper made from elephant crap. (We're not hippies- we swear.) So as this couple walks in I blurt out "Well, how about a notebook made from Elephant poo?"

They were amused. Number one they were just awesome people in general, but I had unknowingly tapped into something. They pointed out that the man was wearing a shirt from an event they had put on, called The Elephant Run. It was in honour of their daughter who had passed away from heart complications. Her favourite animal had been elephants. They showed me the website and told me about their daughter. The mother said it was great to talk about her- it keeps her alive.

Their daugther was basically my age when she died, and it pained me to think about my own parents in their situation... but, true to the principals of awesome, they turned their grief and love for their daughter into this awesome community run to raise money for scholarships.

Sometimes it's good to just be and let things flow... you end up meeting some really cool people and gaining some real insight.

No comments: