Monday, July 21, 2008

T-Shirts and Wisdom


It seems every time someone says something funny, there is a round of 'that should go on a t-shirt!'. Recently a good one was "I'm not an alcoholic, I'm a promoter." If you know even ONE person who promotes parties you're probably laughing your ass off right now.

What is with our obsession with fucking t-shirts? I hate them! We sell tons of t-shirts at my store, and I tend to want to yawn at the girls who come in and buy them. For the men... it depends how often they work out. Tee hee.

However, I recently found a favorite one of mine that used to be my official snowboarding shirt. Cute eh? It was a well appreciated shirt let me tell you.

A few days ago I saw a girl walking towards me. "Good girls keep diaries" is what the front of her shirt said. As she walked away "Bad girls don't have time."

EUREKA!

Is this why I am so bad at keeping diaries, blogs and correspondence? I seem to be very sporadic. Maybe it's in the stars? Maybe it's because 2 pitchers off beer and multiple gin and soda's doesn't make good writing? But.... no... look at most of the great writers. All alcoholics. In my last semester I am taking ENG 511: The Art of Writing Life.

"This course examines a variety of life-writing genres including the diary, letter, autobiography, memoir, and biography. By sampling a range of texts (both print and electronic) throughout history, students will explore diverse ways in which writers express their private and public stories about life and self. Students will gain an understanding of life-writing theory which can be used to rethink the relationships between gender and genre; fact and fiction; and art and artlessness."

I heard once: "There are those who live life, and those who document it." I'm not too upset with being the latter. Although -like most things in life- I am striving to find a balance.

No comments: