Friday, December 19, 2008

Great Article

What are you reading on this snowy day?

I'm reading A Brighter Shade of Green; Rebooting Environmentalism for the 21st Century
by Ross Robertson


Good quotes pulled from it...

“Nature” is over. The twentieth century did it in. There’s not a liter of seawater anywhere without its share of PCB and DDT. An altered climate will reshuffle the ecological deck for every creature that breathes. You can’t escape industrialism and hide from the sky. It’s over. From now on, “Nature” is under surveillance and on life-support. A 21st century avant-garde has to deal with those consequences and thrive in that world. - Bruce Sterling, Founder of the Viridian Design Movement

"I was frightened to realize how far I’d already come from love and idealism and the will to change things to anger, frustration, and a cynicism that increasingly bordered on desperation."- RR

“Well, because it’s a severe breach of taste to bake and sweat half to death in your own trash, that’s why. To boil and roast the entire physical world, just so you can pursue your cheap addiction to carbon dioxide.” - Bruce Sterling

Also... today, from my window I saw a heron caught up in the storm yesterday flying around over my neighbourhood... it was fighting the wind and I'm guessing a bit delirious. It was this gray shape against a swirling gray background... I wanted to run outside and track it down somehow... but I was sick and I lost sight of it fast. What was it doing flying around on a stormy Friday Night? Shouldn't have it been south? Was it blown up by the south? Anyway people, pray that this beautiful bird landed safely somewhere...

No comments: