Monday, December 8, 2008

The Auto Bailout

"Bridge Loan to no-where."

The US just gave 15 billion dollars to the auto-industry. They claim they need it to create supper-efficient hybrid cars. I feel that this is the biggest slap in the face to 'Environmentalism' since Arnold Schwarzenegger became Governor of California.

The car industry admits to running a back-wards manufacturing model- but they do so to bail them out from their previously shamefully polluting and wasteful ways. It's like me asking my parents for a loan to bail me out of a previous drug addiction. "Hi Dad! I was a heroine addict for yeas without thinking about my future- now I need 50 grand for rehab... can you make it cash?"

It's almost criminal.

I hate to sound socialist- but if we the people give these companies money through our tax system, we should legally become shareholders in the industry and have say on what they produce and other shareholder rights. (And by 'we' I mean the American people... or if our government ever gets it together enough to make bad decisions...) Let's buy-out the auto industry and shut-down our borders to imports. Let us protect our industry that way- no country relies on Canada for it's share of the international car market.

Actually- that sounds pretty capitalistic. Most of what I just wrote I learned in business school. My dad would be proud. I decided to go to school to 'learn the beast', so I can know how to conquer it.

I'm going to conquer it. Potentially on a bicycle...

No comments: