Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Influencers

I went to school at Ryerson University, where took many courses at the new Ted Rogers School of Business Management on Bay Street in Toronto. Bay Street is like Wall Street North, but the food stands sadly do not sell bagels.

Business school for the most part trained through repetition the language and concepts of business. In marketing class you learned the 4 P's, you S.O.W.T.ed until the cows came home, you played interactive online simulations to show market share, and generally absorbed acronyms and business model case studies.



Now the big buzz word is all about "seeding the vanguard" and finding influencers who are visible in their communities and actually create change on the streets and not just in the boardrooms and spreadsheets of Bay Street. Get these people using your products and it may just be the catalyst your bottom line is looking for.

Knowing who is and who is going to be influential on a generation is not something I, or anyone, can learn in school.

What I love about my career in marketing and social media is that I tend to naturally gravitate towards influential people. Not just individuals but media companies, NFP's, other businesses, co-ops, charities, artists, gangs and websites.

If you are a company trying to find these influencers in the Bike, Fashion, Activist, NGO, Music, Art, NFP, and Social Media areas, please contact me and we can chat about what kind of people you want to support, and I can help you learn how to connect to influencers in a genuine and positive way.

No comments: